Monday, May 09, 2005

 

comic update

Anyway, after pontificating I decided to buy the Villains United #1 after all. Not a bad read with some good art but other than the hype over the major 'Infinite Crisis' earth-shattering crossover with lengthy implications on the lives of all DC heroes (etc... advertising hyperbole ad infinitum), I don't quite get why this and the other prelude spin-offs are selling out. Good for DC- the hype is working in spades - but maybe they are not going to get the full contents of my wallet each month after all.

Quick recap on the rest of this week's buys:
Papa Midnite (4 of 5). Frankly I'm finding this all a bit bland and an awful let down. Only one part to go but it will probably be filed away afterwards never to be re-read.
Swamp Thing. I am trying so hard to like this new series but it is running close to being dropped already, which is a pity as I've never missed an issue since the Alan Moore days. I don't know, I'm just not quite sure which direction it's trying to head in. Frankly I think the Alec Holland Swamp Thing story should have ended with the fantastic Mark Millar run, where it climaxed with his evolving into effectively becoming the Earth itself. I liked the follow-up Tefe series but practically everything created by the Millar (Alec) run and the Vaughan (Tefe) run has now been dismissed and completely changed. The clock is ticking on this one, I'm afraid.
Shining Knight #2. Well, I'm a huge Grant Morrison fan and in my eyes he can do very little wrong, and this is no exception. I have little knowledge of the original Sir Justin Shining Knight character so I have no idea if this is walking all over past history or complimenting it nicely. Instead, I can just sit back and enjoy it and at the same time marvel at the sheer scale of Morrison's Seven Soldiers saga.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?