Monday, May 23, 2005

 

more comic reviews

This week's contenders are:

JLA Classified. Continuing the B-list hero/comedy scripting. Sorry but the joke isn't that funny anymore. It's also a bit sad reading about these heroes acting the fool, when in current day DC Universe, Sue Dibny and Blue Beetle are already brutally dead, Beetle killed by his boss and sort of friend in this storyline, and Guy Gardener seems to be back as a Green Lantern. I think this has been a victim of the changes in the DCU brought about by Identity Crisis, but perhaps it would have been better to have dropped it completely instead of showing it now as a "past storyline never told before". That said, the last pages were beautifully moving and tragic.

Teen Titans 24. Starting the Outsiders Crossover, and Superboy has gone rogue. A lot of this seems to boil down to him being partly cloned from Lex Luther, and one can assume that some sort of latent programming was including in the cloning process. I think I can deal with this a bit better than the idea that he was worried that something bad is inside him because part of his genes are Lex's. I mean, Luther isn't super-powered, so Superboy has no more likelihood of turning into Luther as I have of wanting to spend my retirement working in an allotment, and playing golf and table tennis like my father.

Books of Magick 11. This ones a grower, I have to confess. It started so far from the previous Books of Magic series that part of me was fighting against the change of direction, but I am loving the turns and plots held in it. Dean Ormiston's art is totally suited to the script, I hope this one stays around for a long while.

Lucifer. Great stand-alone story at a time when the main stroyline is starting to drag and lose my interest. Ties right back to the opening story arc bringing back characters that we haven't seen in 5 years. Just a bit of a pity that I'm tiring of the main story; still they say that like Sandman and Preacher before it, there is a definite end to the series plotted, I'll hang around to read the whole thing, start to end. I'd love to know how comic fans in Middle America (you know where I'm talking about) are dealing with a comic where the (anti) hero is Lucifer, the devil and that God has abandoned Heaven.

Guardian 2. Another part of Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers epic. I've sort of decided to hold back reading these on a month by month basis and to save them up until I have the set to really appreciate the scope of the seven storylines. Come back at the end of the year for the full Seven Soldiers write up.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?