Tuesday, June 21, 2005

 

More Music

Right, since the last musical update there have been a fair few gigs to talk about, so lets get started

Ladytron at the ICA. Brilliant, the girls looked great and the music was good. I was told that the electronics went a bit off towards the end but because of my rather poor hearing I couldn't actually pick up the differences.

Bobby Conn and the Glass Gypsies at the Scala. Never fail to impress me. As usual, they were all dressed up in variants on the same odd costume, this time is was all hooded velour sportswear. We stood very close to the stage in front of Monica Booboo, and so were able to witness at first had the strange girl who came on stange and tried to ask Monica something. Ian was in the bar shortly afterwards and witnessed the bouncers trying to throw the girl out of the venue.

Wolfeyes at the ICA. A lot quieter than the last time I saw them and a lot more tuneful too. A pleasant surprise if you are intrigued by the prospect of Electronic Metal. I don't dislike them but I don't think I would go out of my way to play their cds at home when I'm trying to relax. Support from Femail, who were ironically a lot louder than the main act.

Billy Corgan at the Forum. This has been getting very snidey reviews but I enjoyed it. However, I guess a lot of the people weren't looking for his new direction and it was clear that he had lost a large part of the audience by the midway stage - people moving to the back, people talking, etc. Great light show, although I appreciate that isn't what you go to a gig for.

Yoko Ono at the South Bank Centre. Astonishing. She is an incredible performer - coming across as both a fragile little bird and a powerful entity at the same time. Very arty crowd (or is that arsey?) , as well as very gay. Just before the show started I had a celebrity spot of Neil and Chris from the Pet Shop Boys, but this was declared null and void when they joined her onstage for the encore of Walking on Thin Ice. Sean Lennon looks scarily identical to his father.

U2 at Twickenham. Well, despite hating stadium gigs and feeling a bit so-so towards U2, I really enjoyed this. Great set, although the anti-pomposity in music in me did switch off when the declaration of Human Rights was projected on the main screens. Not the easiest place to get home from, though.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?