Monday, June 06, 2005

 

updates

I haven't blogged for a while (combination of work, being away from a pc, big bugger of a virus destroying my pc, 40th celebrations), so I'd better briefly update on the gigs and comics:

Gigs:

Ben Folds - as fantastic as I'd hoped. Beautiful solo version of 'Brick' and terrific version of 'Not the same'. Bassist Jared is a hottie and made me come over all unnecessary, especially when he ironically shook his arse at the start of 'Rocking the Suburbs'

Jaga Jazzist - Really tight set, they were great. Their new slightly rockier/prog direction is a hit, and I'm glad to see all the silly haircuts have grown out.

Mark Kowselak - actually quite beautiful. If anyone from the Islington Bar Academy ever reads this, might I suggest moving the cigarette machine to the back of the venue instead of right next to the stage

Joe Jackson/Todd Rungren - Don't get me started on this one. Thanks to the ineptness of Royal mail, our tickets were delivered next door to the empty house, so despite all efforts, we were unable to go. Royal Mail will be paying in spades for this.

Coming this week - Ladytron and Bobby Conn.

Comics:

After careful consideration, I will be dropping Aquaman, JSA and JLA (normal and Classified) with immediate effect. Sorry guys, but they just aren't cutting it for me anymore and I want to make cuts somewhere. Hellblazer and Swamp Thing are on dodgy grounds too.

Outsiders 24 - I always thought that when two books were crossing over, the respective writers would at least co-plot the story. This issue moved no further really from the end of Teen Titans 24, and covered the same ground (Teammate reveals hidden programming turning her against the others, bit of a slugfest where she walks all over them, then leaves to team up with the baddie team).

Return of Donna Troy 1 - As I have mentioned, I was really looking forward to this. I'm just pleased that it's happened and she's back, although as usual, Phil Jiminez's writing leaves a bit to be desired and it was all a bit slow, and the art team was a bit pedestrian too. Never mind, she's back and that's the main thing, and next issue will see everyone meeting with her (what's the betting that there's a slugfest between them all, then she will come to her senses, make her choice about whether to be a God or go back to being a mortal hero, and return back to the DCU?)

Otherworld 3 - Great artwork, so-so story which could do with a bit of speeding up.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?