Friday, July 29, 2005

 

Who'da thought it?



Well this is just getting ridiculous. I'm all for comics increasing in their popularity, but only if it doesn't stop me from getting what I want.

Yesterday (Thursday) was new comics day. By the time I got to my comic store(s) - I tried both - at 5.30pm, every single copy of Wonder Woman was sold out. This never happens.

So why has it happened now? Well, this was the final part of a four part Superman story and Superman is surprisingly going through a bit of a popularity renaissance at the moment (I say surprisingly because I've always found him boring), so I assume all the Superman fans who wouldn't normally look twice at Wondy were all there first. What happened? Well as far as I can tell from messageboards, Superman has spent the past three parts being brainwashed and beating the living hell out of Batman and the rest of the Justice League. Now, Wondy actually shows that she is his match for strength etc, uses her tiara to slash Superman's throat (class!) and then kills the person who is controlling Superman as this is the only way to free Supes from the control.

This will have big implications on the future as heroes mustn't kill, so Supes and Bats will no longer trust her, the public will fear her and she will feel let down by the others for not supporting her.

Anyway, I know I was talking about dropping Wonder Woman a couple of months ago so it's a bit rich of me to now be complaining that I can't get hold of a copy, but my point is (I think) that with so many important issues coming up, will I need to take every Thursday off work to get there when the doors open in case I miss something? It's worse than trying to buy White Stripes tickets this morning (which I also failed at).

Of course I'm blaming the terrorist bombers - If the Piccadilly Line was still running I would have been able to make the trip during lunch and not been in this situation.

If anyone can get me a copy of Wonder Woman 219 I would be most grateful.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?