Wednesday, August 10, 2005

 

Magical


So we went to see the Magic numbers at the tiny Cecil Sharp House on Friday and they were great. We saw them a few times last year as support for other bands and it's great to see how they've developed such a good following based on word of mouth and constant touring.

What was also nice was that (minor celeb spot) Ed Harcourt was there, as the last time we saw them was supporting Ed during his residency at Madame Jojos last October. So, nice to see that he was friends and liked them, pity when I saw him he was downstairs holding court in the bar when they were on stage. Still, I guess it's the thought that counts.

However, just when you thought it was all good news for the Magic Numbers, someone has to ruin it. God, Richard Bacon's a prat. I mean, this is the man who was sacked from the biggest presenting job in children's television for being caught snorting coke, and has been lucky enough to crawl back into television, and on the band's first Top of the Pops appearance he jokes about their size. I don't blame them for walking off (and I'm sure they are getting more publicity by not appearing than they would have if they went on as no-one watches TOTP these days), and I love the BBC's damage limitation - "Richard was mortified that they took offence as that wasn't what he meant". Let's hope that's another presenting job he loses - it's hard enough for a real band to get anywhere these days, the last thing they need when they get their break is for a smug unfunny prat to crack a joke at their expense.

BTW, I know that by rights as I'm standing up for them, I should publish a picture of them and not their cartoon logo, but I just think the cartoon is so cute.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?