Tuesday, June 20, 2006

 

rest in peace



Well, they've finally announced that after 42 years, Top of the Pops is to be axed, probably in summer.

This really is the end of an era. I was going to say that I will be sad to see it go but the truth is I haven't watched in over 6 or 7 years so I guess it was inevitable that the end was nigh. In the 70s and 80s it was THE music programme to watch, and an appearance could really boost record sales. I think it's on record that when Shakin' Stevens was unable to appear and they called little known band in Culture Club who were languishing in the late 30s in the charts at the time, this one appearance was the boost that started the reign of the band.

But times changed, and the combination of the growth and availability of MTV, coupled in my opinion, with the rise of dance records fronted by faceless djs (meaning a rather boring performance by dancers as opposed to a big name) has meant that the show has had it's day.

A sad day but as I say, not a surprise.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?