Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 

Save the Astoria



I am shocked to read that the Astoria, concert venue in central London and home to G-A-Y is under risk of closing and conversion to shops and overpriced flats.

In my clubbing days I used I had many a good night there, and although not perfect, it is one of my more favourite gig venues in London, and I have seen some great shows there. I was at the very show where this photo of the Dirty Three was taken (see November 2005's blog entry, the Dirty Three sank like lead balloons to an audience of unappreciating berks).

I do not want to see the venue shut, there has been too much of this in this part of London already - my favourite comic shop was forced to close through rising rents a couple of months ago and I understand sleazy bar CXR will follow before the year is out. Thank heavens there are people who care enough to try to do something about it. Read about it here http://www.savetheastoria.org/home.html


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?